Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Overclockapoloza


Today I read about AMD over clocking a 8 core (Octo-core?) processor to 8.429 Ghz.
Mind it only used 2 of the 8 cores, was cooled by liquid hydrogen and helium, but damn.
Gamespy wrote an article a decade or so ago about a 386 that was overclocked to what seemed ridiculous at the time. (probably 1.2 Ghz) It was turned on, ran for a moment and then burst into flames.
So ended that overclocking experiment.

Currently I have no concept of how fast that is. I started computing on whatever came before 286s. Remember loading from DOS and still remember commands from Wordstar. The fact that my current out of date pc would be fine for me if it wasn't overheating and becoming rather shitty has forced me to upgrade.

But, hey, if you've got to overclock a processor why not do it with some style.


(Via)

No comments:

Post a Comment